Wednesday, October 04, 2006

teaching philosophy statements

A teaching philosophy statement is a piece of writing that grows throughout your teaching career with every experience. Job ads ask for "evidence of excellence in teaching," and a teaching philosophy statement that is multimediated does just that. For your blog post this week, search the Internet for teaching philosophy statements. Select one you like, share the URL, and discuss three things you like about it.

The philosophy statement I like can be found here:
http://ftad.osu.edu/portfolio/philosophy/vaughan_phil.htm

The reason I like Don Rodney Vaughn's philosophy is because it reflects the philosophy I'm developing for myself. It has a little bit of everything.
1. He structures it so that it's broken down according to the learner, the teacher, the application of the philosophy, and the professional goals. It's a simple development to follow, and I really dig how structured his thoughts are.
2. He implements the facilitator side of teaching, but doesn't forget that he's there to impart knowledge, too. My concept in Keywords was "teacher", and it seems like there are only two ways to be: imparters of knowledge, or guides of learning. I like to embrace both, like Peter Elbow says. And Vaughn is doing the same in his own philosophy. He knows he's there to guide the student to learning, but he's also there to give knowledge when needed.
3. I like that he mentions integrity and competence of subject matter. It irritates me to no end how integrity is becoming a "lost art". And, even worse, I think it's a real shame when I see teachers trying to teach subjects that they barely know anything about. And most of those kinds of teachers are the ones who don't even want to learn, either, so there's no hope of them learning along with their students.
I'm beginning to realize what my own philosophy of teaching is turning out to be, and I'll probably me modeling my own statement on Vaughn's structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment