I could go on and on. The thing about autumn is that it's such a nice, clear season to me. So crisp, so vibrant, so fresh. I love rain, especially when it's cloudy and dark and cold outside. I have memories of reading one of my many library books in my room while the thunder rumbled and the rain splashed down my windows. I remember library days and the cozy feeling of searching all those wonderful books for just the right book about the girl who wins in the end and being enraptured by all the displays the librarians would be stapling to the bulletin boards for Halloween or Thanksgiving. Reading books about ice-skating girls and roller-skating fellas named Soup.
I was looking through a box of old clothes my mom had kept for me, and my old Dexter loafers were in there. I loved dressing up in slacks and penny loafers and crisp button-down shirts! I wonder how I grew up to be this t-shirt-and-shorts-wearing person that I am? I crave the old-fashioned times I used to read about in Anne of Green Gables where everyone was properly dressed for every occasion and the rain would always just get done falling and everything would be washed anew. I love coat-wearing weather. I love coats, bundling up in them, snapping all the buckles and buttons shut, burying into my own warmth.

So here begins my new leaf, my new life of liberty . . .I now cannot WAIT to get to Seattle so I can enjoy the rain and my reading and writing! I will no longer take pictures in t-shirts and jeans or shorts unless I'm at a ball game. I will have hot chocolate and marshmallows in my cupboard at all times for those moments of time when I'm curled up in my favorite chair and reading a book for pleasure. I will iron all the shirts in my closet and have them ready to wear for those outings when a crisp white Oxford shirt will be perfect for the trip to the bookstore. I will press red and gold leaves in wax paper. I will do math in the morning and read in the afternoon. I will be happy.







That's funny, because when i think of Autumn, I also think of school stuff. Like the first day of school and the smell of the old school building. Or is it the smell of the building mixed with the new crayons?? And then remember those "Big Chief" writing tablets? Did you use those? I sometimes wish that I taught in elementary so I can see all of the fun school supplies, like the school boxes filled with crayons, glue, and all the other fun stuff. I sometimes wish I could have cool bulletin board decorations up in my room. I put up two bulletin boards that stay up the whole school year. And sadly no one notices!!!
ReplyDelete