Thursday, July 24, 2008

Umm, now I remember why I never wanted to go to camp

So I'm here in Santa Fe for my first residency, and it's an experience. Writers in general are pretty hippy-ish, yes, but it always weirds me out when I'm surrounded by them. Like, surrounded in droves, in hordes, in stampedes. They've all been pretty nice to me, so I shouldn't be complaining, and complaining I'm really not. I'm just. . .amused. Try having twenty conversations about the beauty of the desert, especially when it rains and a rainbow appears, in the middle of saints-and-miracles country, and it gets to be amusing after a while. I know I've yearned for rain in many of my posts, but I'd like to point out that I haven't yearned for conversations about rain.

Otherwise, I've had a good first day. My roommate is also from Texas, so she and I share amused glances whenever we hear yet another comment about the beauty of a raindrop. Even though she's a UT alum, we've already bonded by the sheer fact that we're both from the greatest state of all. Give us talk about football and rodeos, and we're just fine!

1 comment:

  1. So how was the lunch table situation?? I felt just like you did. It seemed like we were always moving from house to house when I was little, so I had to go to different schools. That meant that I would be the new kid with no friends and no where to sit at lunch. I liked it in high school because our teacher would let us stay in the class to eat. Most of the time I would bring my own lunch and stay there. I'm sure you were able to make lunch buddies!!!

    ReplyDelete